Janet has been involved in working alongside educators in developing or improving their curriculum design for 25+ years. Her experience and expertise in all aspects of curriculum design decision-making prove beneficial to those she assists.
When Janet works with a school, district, or higher-ed program, she believes it is essential for her to:
- Ask questions to learn more about your past and current curriculum, assessment, and instructional practices
- Understand your current culture and climate from both administrative and teacher perspectives
- Take into account how your vision, mission, and strategic plans play a role in your curriculum-design initiative
- Personalize your curriculum-design focuses to aid in meeting your short- and long-range goals
If you are starting your curriculum design journey, or wanting to refine or advance your design needs, Janet offers a variety of customizable services that involve both in-person sessions and virtual-meeting support.
Janet offers short- and long-range consulting services designed to aid you in your curriculum design processes. Here are a few popular focuses she often provides:
- Strategic planning for implementation of, or advanced work in, curriculum design work
- Recommendations for synthesizing multiple initiatives through a curriculum design lens
- Creation of, and training for, targeted leadership teams based on “let’s do this now” versus “let’s do that later” goals
- Recommendations for processes for upgrading units of study, as well as instructional practices, to support modern learning, assessing, and teaching
Thank you for the time, and the extra efforts you provided our team. I will always remember you as light that leads to clarity.
—Paris B., Leadership Team Member
Janet offers a wide variety of curriculum design trainings. Here are several popular training focuses:
- Establishing / Refining Curriculum Design — series of trainings for those who are just getting started with curriculum-design frameworks, assessment focuses, and/or instructional practices; or wanting to obtain a deeper understanding and improved application
- Upgrading Units of Study / Instructional Plans & Conducting Upgrade Reviews — series of training and coaching sessions based on the transformational process spiral and upgrade review procedures, as well as current modern-learning recommendations and practices
- Documenting OF/FOR/AS Learning — series of training and coaching sessions for teachers and students to build confidence in, and application of, evidence-based documentation phases, workflows, characteristics, and strategies
- Quality Unit of Study Writing with Systemic Design in Mind — series of trainings including multiple meetings, coaching, and feedback opportunities based on the learning organization’s curriculm-design goals
Janet Hale’s educational enthusiasm is highly contagious for teachers and their students. Observing her dynamic training style and creative strategies when she worked with my students has motivated me to continue to strive for excellence!
—Janet C., Elementary Teacher
Janet’s expertise in writing quality map units of study curriculum, both from a vertical and horizontal lens, enables her to provide educators with a variety of in-person and virtual appraisal services to ensure your curriculum and instruction map units truly accurately conveys their intended messages. Here are a few popular appraisal focuses:
- Calibrate both internal and external alignment of unit of study elements based on relationship among the framework/model elements, including standards expectations
- Facilitate review-and-feedback sessions to revise map units using the C.L.E.A.R. appraisal questions customized for your curriculum framework or model (e.g., traditional curriculum, Project-Based Learning, Understanding by Design©, STEM/STEAM)
- Conduct master classes wherein volunteer participant is willing to be appraised and advised “live” concerning the quality of one or more map elements in a selected unit, while remainder of participants work to improve the quality of their map units’ same element(s) based on questions, coaching, and feedback exchanges with volunteer participant
Thank you for your insights, willingness to share, and your dedication to our profession! Your practical suggestions and ideas have definitely improved our unit alignment.
—Michele B., Elementary Team Member
Janet is known for her caring nature and ability to support and motivate teachers, leadership teams, and administrators who are facing the challenges of new learning or concepts. She is also known for explaining complex information in an easy and accessible manner that aids educators in establishing, refining, or upgrading their curriculum, assessments, and instruction.
To discuss your learning organization’s design needs, please complete a Curriculum Design Survey. Janet will respond within 24 hours.
To contact Janet directly, call her at 520.241.8797, or email her using this contact form.